Monday, December 21, 2009

A Pattern for Warming Her Hands

Can you tell these are handwarmers? -- They look funny without a hand in them!
I was making them for Noli for Christmas -- while she was here! I measured her hand and every now and then asked her to try them on. She asked "are they for me?" I crossed my fingers and said, "well, we'll see but I think they're for the shop" We went thru this ritual about three times. So I think she'll be surprised! Three year olds don't remember so well so I think I've got a chance.

I'm going to crochet her an earflap hat to go along with them -- a fuzzy brown with the trim in the pink. Nothing like the last minute.

If you'd like the pattern for the handwarmers, here's what I did:

Child's Handwarmers

Materials:
Worsted Weight yarn (I used Paton's Classic Wool)
G hook
F hook

Measurements:
4" long before edging ( 4 1/2" with edging)
5 1/2" wide before sewing
(fits about a 3 to 5 year old)

Both width and length can be easily adjusted for your child's measurements. Simply add chains or rows to your measurements.

Make two:

With G hook, ch 19.
Row 1: dc in 4th ch and each ch across (17 dc); turn.
Row 2: ch 3, dc in each dc across; turn. (Ch 3 always counts as dc) (17 dc)
Row 3-12: repeat Row 2.

Finish off. Cut yarn, leaving a long tail for sewing the sides.

Fold in half and sew the foundation chain and last row together for 9 dc. Take an extra stitch or two in 9th dc to reinforce the beginning of the thumb opening. Skip 4 dc to leave open for thumb opening (weave your yarn along the 4 dc) and take an extra stitch or two as before. Sew the remaining 4 dc.

Cut yarn and weave in ends.

Scalloped Edge: (Use F hook)

Attach yarn at seam and working evenly around:
Ch 1, sc in same st, *5 dc in next space, sc in next space.*

Repeat from * to * around. End with sl st in the first sc.

Cut yarn and weave in ends.

(Basically, if you just do the dc scallops and the sc evenly around, you're OK)

You can put the scallops on either end -- they can go toward the arm or toward the fingers, whatever you prefer! Or even on both ends!

For a boy, you could do a simple sc around for a neat finish.

Enjoy! (You can use this pattern however you'd like, but if you blog or sell items made from it, I'd appreciate a link back here. Thanks!)

1 comment:

Splendid Little Stars said...

These are very pretty! I bet Noli loved them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails