Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Dear Santa...


I was going through a box of old school stuff of my kids..... 

and came across their letters to Santa back in 1989! 

Adam was in 3rd grade, and Stephanie was in Kindergarten. I'm not sure if they did these in school or if I had a sneaky plan in mind, but if you promise not to tell them..... shhh.... I was Santa!!  I apparently tried to write with flourishes and make my letters nothing like I really wrote them. I can tell it was me, but I think they were fooled!









We always left milk and cookies for Santa (do you think he ever got tired of milk and cookies and just wanted a beer and peanuts instead?!!)  Of course, Santa had to eat it all and leave crumbs and traces of milk behind!

I love it that they each drew a picture of Santa -- 




Adam's is so skinny (he always drew skinny people for some reason) 
and notice the RED mustache and NO BEARD!



and Stephanie's is just a big head....
and hmmm,  no beard either!


I really cherish these Santa letters because the next year was the year of the...



BIG  QUESTION!

Adam told me he wanted to ask me something ..... and led me into the garage.....

He leaned against the car, me against the washing machine.  I knew this would be a BIG QUESTION. (And, frankly, it wasn't the BIG QUESTION I thought it would be! LOL!)

Big intake of breath. Serious looks.

So, Mom, tell me the truth   (uh-oh)

Is Santa real??

OK, quick thinking here -- but I knew the only thing to do was to come clean. This kid was SERIOUS.

So I launched into the "Santa isn't a real person, but is the spirit of giving" talk. That he's fun for everyone to be excited about.  etc, etc.

Adam seemed to take all this in pretty well -- and agreed that he wouldn't let on to Stephanie.

And then he said.....

So I guess it's the same for the TOOTH FAIRY and the EASTER BUNNY too.....

All gone, in one fell swoop......



~ sharing on Alphabe-Thursday where we are studying the letter D



♥♥




14 comments:

Sandra @ Sandra's Ark said...

I remember those moments with our children too. There is a little sadness in your heart because well they are growing up

carol l mckenna said...

Adorable treasures of 'yesteryear' ~ great post for D and photos!

Happy Weekend to you,
artmusedog and carol

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Great story! Sounds like you handled the situation with grace...

Natashalh said...

The letters are so sweet! My family continues to give gifts from "Santa" even though us 'kids' are both 20-somethings!

Betty said...

How sweet. Your kids wrote the nicest letter. I'm a sentimental old fool. I have a tree decorated with things my kids made in school and even a few things that my mother saved that I made in school and I'm almost 69. Yes, there's a lot of faded and fragile things on my tree, but I love it.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Aww- it is kind of a huge let-down. I've always told mine that the second they stop believing is when Santa (Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny) stops coming to the house to bring goodies. That always worked. (I taught first grade)

Laura said...

Sweet post. I save all my kids letters, although lately I've been a little overwhelmed by all the things they're asking for. :/

Poppy said...

Hi Sarah,

So lovely to meet you!

Such a sweet and nostalgic post that I think us mommies can relate to! Your children's drawings and letters are lovely and they bring back memories of my own daughter's correspondence with Santa so many years ago. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Christmas!

Poppy

Unknown said...

What wonderful letters and what a great story! Amara is 10 1/2 now and at least for this moment she still believes but I think only until Christmas is over as she doesn't want to run the risk of missing out on presents!

storybeader said...

Adam is one smart kid! And so sweet to his little sister. You should be SO proud of him, whatever age he is! {:-D

Susan Anderson said...

Such a cute post! And I love the letters and pics, too.

=)

EG CameraGirl said...

What a sweet older brother to keep the secret. :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The letters are so precious and sweet! How nice to have them to look back at and remember these special times. I need to write my letter today! You're never too old, are you? Holiday hugs, Diane

Jenny said...

What a delightfully dear link to the letter D.

This made me teary!

How lucky you were to have saved them!

Thanks for a delightful link to the letter D.

Happy New Year

And

A+

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails