Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Special Santas ~ My Favorite Things

I have lots of Santas to be displayed at Christmastime, but two are very special ones.  They both belonged to a very dear aunt and I am so glad that I have them today.





  I remember this roly-poly one on display in her home every Christmas. She painted it and I remember asking why the fur on his hat was black. She said it was so that you could see it since it was right next to his beard. I guess that satisfied me, but when Noli asked the same thing she insisted that it should be white and "of course you can tell his beard from his hat!" Can you believe it -- so many years later, she asks the same question as I did!





As you can see, he has a very round tummy! He's heavy so I guess he must eat a lot of Christmas cookies! He's made of a solid plaster -- I imagine my aunt painted him back in the 40s or 50s. She would spiff him up and repaint where necessary every few years but I have left him as he was when she gave him to me. I don't want to paint over her art!

I was thrilled when she gave him to me after I had married! She knew how precious he was to me and now he brings back lovely memories of my aunt. 





This Santa, on the other hand, has been on a diet so he's not so chubby. The same aunt painted him in the 60s or early 70s and gave him to me sometime in the 80s.  At first I wasn't so wild about him but, over the years, have grown to love him. Sometimes I put Christmas cards in his bag, but lately I've let him hold some poinsettias. Maybe this year I'll put some tiny toys in his bag instead!





He has sparkly glitter on his fur, and I love his blue eyes and cute bald head! Oh yeah, questions from Noli on the bald head too!! 





And every year, Stephanie asks when I'm going to give him to her. Well, she'll just have to wait a while longer! But I'm glad she wants him, and the roly-poly Santa too... I imagine they will be passed down to Noli some day.

These two special Santas are usually the first decorations I put out -- they each have their own special place of honor  :)

This reminds me, I'd better get crackin' on the Christmas decor -- I still have all my fall/Thanksgiving pumpkins out! Nothing like being a lazy bones in the holiday decorating department!

Any other lazy bones out there? 


~ sharing at

Vintage Bliss Tuesdays 
Vintage Inspiration Party
What's It Wednesday
Share Your Cup Thursday



♥♥








 








10 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are super duper awesome.

Sarah @ Backwoods Babies

pasqueflower said...

What wonderful Santas!!

Duni said...

How cool your aunt passed these on to you! The first one does look jolly and kind of looks like I always thought a Santa should look like as a kid :)

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

Hee hee, cute that you both asked the same questions. My mom doesn't have any Santas around the house, but she has a ceramic Christmas tree that lights up from the inside that I wouldn't mind taking off her hands.

Olga Poltava said...

How cute!
Enjoy the Holiday Season!


PS. Your Etsy shop is awesome. Everything is so pretty!

Unknown said...

From one lazy bones to another! I still don't have the tree up and the ONLY decorations I have up is the Christmas snowflake tablecloth! Love your Santas and their stories.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What fun! I love Santas...and will be decorating right up until the day! Hugs!!!

JoKnows said...

So adorable. I especially love the chubby Santa. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Bliss Tuesdays. Jo

Jeannie Marie said...

I love your two Santa's! Mine stayed up in the closet this year, but will reappear next year when I stay home for Christmas.

Staciestitches said...

My mother painted the same Santa with the bag. Very fond memories.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails